Who can get the Victorian Floods, October 2022 – Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment – Victorian Floods, October 2022 – Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment
To obtain it, you or a dependent child for whom you are the primary caregiver must meet all of the following criteria:
You must be 16 or over at the time of the Victorian floods, October 2022 or be receiving an income support payment.
You or a dependent child for whom you are the primary caregiver must have been severely affected by the Victoria floods in October 2022. For example:
- you were seriously injured
- you are the immediate family member of a deceased or missing Australian citizen or resident
- the flood has caused significant damage to your residence or to an important property of your residence.
If you are part of a couple, you can both claim this payment. You and your partner will have to make separate claims.
You cannot claim on behalf of a deceased person or their estate.
We will notify you of the outcome of your complaint.
You can contact us on 180 22 66 if you wish to discuss the outcome of your complaint.
What do these terms mean
For this payment, we use the following definitions.
Main place of residence
Your main place of residence is the main place where you have the right or authorization to live. It does not include vacation homes or investment properties.
A major asset is an asset or assets whose combined market value is $20,000 or more. For example, this may include buildings, vehicles, caravans, water tanks or large-scale machinery.
You are the primary carer of a child if the child is 15 or under and is your dependent. This means that you are legally responsible for the day-to-day care, well-being and development of the child.
Your main residence has suffered significant damage if, for example:
- it has been destroyed or is to be demolished
- it was declared structurally unstable
- this disaster caused significant damage to the interior
- this disaster exposed the interior to the weather
- sewage has entered your home.
You may also be eligible if this loss caused major damage inside your principal residence. Examples include:
- flooring or furniture needs to be refurbished or replaced
- the metal has started to rust, pit and corrode and needs to be replaced.